Amanda-Users

Re: forcing a failed backup to disk to use the same slot

2007-03-24 21:19:29
Subject: Re: forcing a failed backup to disk to use the same slot
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:58:56 -0400
On Saturday 24 March 2007, Frank Smith wrote:
>René Kanters wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have had some problems that an overnight backup 'hung up', i.e., a
>> level 0 dump started but never properly finished so backups from
>> other machines did not work either. So far the problem has been with
>> the western digital disk on my Mac amanda server, where a restart of
>> the external disk solves the problem.
>>
>> I catch these problems the same day they happen, so  I am wondering
>> whether it is possible to run amdump with a configuration of dumping
>> to a disk (using tpchanger "chg-disk") and not have amanda use the
>> next slot, but the slot that the failed dump started on.
>>
>> I could not find any information on that in the man pages.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>If you're sure that nothing you need was written to the 'tape', you
>can use amrmtape and then relabel it with the same label.  That
>should make it the first tape to use on the next run.
>  I've often wondered why Amanda marks a tape as 'used' on a failed
>backup even when nothing was written to tape.
>
>Frank

I think, and someone is welcome to correct me, that the re-write of the
label on the tape with the current date, and all the housekeeping that
gets done when that is done, really should be delayed until such time as
there really is something in the holding disk that's complete and ready
to move to tape.  As it is, I believe this bit of housekeeping is done up
front before the error is known.

This would be one improvement that could be put into amanda, and would be
most welcome.  Hint hint...

>> Thanks,
>> René

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A sect or party is an elegant incognito devised to save a man from
the vexation of thinking.
                -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1831