Amanda-Users

A non-amanda issue: the abysmal misery of LUNs

2007-03-20 17:17:28
Subject: A non-amanda issue: the abysmal misery of LUNs
From: FL <lengyel AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:05:48 -0400
Apropos of non-Amanda questions (the list owner can chastise me if I'm out of line)
I'm using an Exabyte Magnum 224 LTO connected to an Adaptec 29320A SCSI card.
The OS is CentOS 4, on a machine on which I have another SCSI card connected to
a Spectra Logic 2k (I'm running amanda). My fervent hope was to run AMANDA with
the Exabyte. My trouble: the Exabyte assigns the same SCSI ID to the tape drive and
the changer, but gives them different LUNs.

I have no problem seeing the changer, at SCSI ID 6 LUN 0. However, /dev/nst2, the
device associated with the drive, reports input/output failure.

So, in the SCSI BIOS setup I enabled multiple LUNs
AND in /etc/modprobe.conf I added a line to allow multiple LUNs.

No joy. Probably  for lack of a proper SCSI terminator for LVD scsi---or else I've missed
some other crucial point.

Once I get this to work, I promise to run amtapetype and post the results.

I may upgrade to RHEL 5.