Amanda-Users

Re: (repost) 2.5.1: underscores in diskname and index files

2007-03-02 13:41:19
Subject: Re: (repost) 2.5.1: underscores in diskname and index files
From: jeffrey d anderson <jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:31:25 -0800
On Friday 02 March 2007, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2007-03-01 20:47, jeffrey d anderson wrote:
> > On Friday 23 February 2007, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
> >> This problem is fixed.
> >> It will use single '_' it it exist, or double '__' if it exist.
> >> If none exist, it will create with a single '_'.
> >>
> >> Jean-louis

> > I just upgraded my server to amanda 2.5.1p3.  I have two DLEs whose
> > labels include underscores, and both of them get the "index dir doesn't
> > exist --will create on next run" error.
> >
> > For both of these DLEs amanda treated them as new disks, doing a level
> > zero that night, and new index directories were created with single
> > underscores, even though the old "double underscore" index directories
> > existed.  This wouldn't be a problem, except that now amrecover doesn't
> > seem to be able to find the old index files, saying that there are no
> > indices for the dates prior to the 2.5.1 upgrade.
> >
> > I tried simply copying the old index files to the new, "single
> > underscore" directories, but this apparently is not sufficient.
> >
> > What do I need to do to be able to use amrecover on tapes made before the
> > 2.5.1 upgrade?
>
> I used a script to rename the directories and create a symlink
> from the old name to the new name (so that i could fall back to the
> older release if needed).
>
>    for d in *__*
>    do
>        s=`echo $d | sed -e 's/__/_/g'`
>        mv $d $s
>        ln -s $s $d
>    done
>
> Apply this on each directory where amcheck would warn that
> it will create a new tree (NOTE: both index and curinfo directories!)

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately I now have two days worth of index
information in the new, single underscore directories.

It looks like I can just move over all the old index files into the new single
underscore directories and then create the links for the index directories,
but I'm not certain about the format of the curinfo files.  It is clear that
the old info file cannot just be appended to the new one because there is a
9-line long section at the top that is unlike the rest of the file in format.
Should I just append all the 'history:' lines from the old info file to the
bottom of the new info file?  Or is it more complicated than that?

I suppose I should just backup the index files and then start experimenting.

Jeffrey Anderson                        | jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   |
Office: 50A-5104E                       | Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208                     | Fax: 510 486-6808