Amanda-Users

Re: Looooooooong backup

2006-10-18 15:23:04
Subject: Re: Looooooooong backup
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: Steven Settlemyre <settlemy AT asel.udel DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:17:24 -0400
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 01:14:57PM -0400, Steven Settlemyre wrote:
> I have a monthly (full) backup running for about 22 hrs now. Do you
> think there is a problem, or is it possible it's just taking a long
> time? about 150G of data.

Is it closer to 150G in on file or 150G in one million files?

As the number of files increases, the time it takes to do
dumps/restores becomes dominated by the amount of time it takes to
deal with individual files.

Millions of files add up to extremely long dumps...

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us

man in the bonds of Hell."