Amanda-Users

Duplicating backup

2006-09-28 14:15:12
Subject: Duplicating backup
From: Steven Kurylo <steven.kurylo AT vcom DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:09:37 -0700
Hi,

Right now we run a weekly full backup, rotating through several tapes.
As well we run a full monthly backup, rotating through the tapes yearly.

Running a weekly backup and then a monthly backup is rather wasteful,
the data will almost be identical.  Is there anyway I can take the
weekly backup which just finished and copy it to the monthly tapes?

I could use dd, but then amanda wouldn't know about these monthly
tapes.  That would make restoring data troublesome.  Is there a way to
make amanda copy data from a tape labeled "weekly1" to "monthly1"?  Or
can I manually copy certain files from the weekly index/info directories
to the monthly directory to make amrestore work after I dd the tapes?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks.