Amanda-Users

Re: Duplicating backup

2006-09-29 17:59:26
Subject: Re: Duplicating backup
From: Steven Kurylo <steven.kurylo AT vcom DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:50:12 -0700

>> 1) Use dd to copy the weekly tape to the monthly tape
>> 2) Modify the amanda label on the monthly tape from "week1" to "month1"
>> (it looks like dd and sed could do this)
>> 3) Modify the tapelist in the monthly config to reflect the tape "month1"
>> 4) Copy the log file, curinfo, and index files from the weekly config to
>> the monthly config
>> 5) Modify the log file to refer the tape "month1" instead of "week1"
>>
> That is basically what I anticipated too.  It is surprising to me
> how little the strings for a tape name appear in the logs, curing,
> and index files.  A recursive grep turns up basically only the
> logs where the tape writes are noted.  On the tapes, only in the
> header file.
>
> Even more surprising is the lack of the config name anywhere,
> logs or tape files.
>
> What I'm unsure about is which, if any, of the above are really
> needed for recovery/restores.  index files to use amrecover.
> curinfo, I don't see a need, but have been wrong many times.

It doesn't look like amrecover use curinfo at all, but it might as well
be there since nothing in it needs to be modified.
> What about the logs?  Does amrecover/amrestore/amfetchdump
> actually use the logs?  I don't know.

It gives a warning if they're not there (with the proper tape label),
but I don't know how it actually uses them.

> If such a utility were developed, I think its usefulness would
> be greatly enhanced if it were more than a "duplicate an entire
> tape to a different config".  What I'd like to see is the ability
> to pick and choose archives from different backups to merge into
> a pseudo backup in the new config.  For example, you might say
> get the most recent level 0 dumps from a set of DLE's or hosts.
> Or all the dumps of a particular DLE between two dates.
I have no use for any of that, but I will spend a few hours doing the
steps I outlined above. You can add that extra functionality later :-)

Thanks for your thoughts.