Amanda-Users

Re: Leaving backups on disk vs. using file driver

2006-09-28 13:59:14
Subject: Re: Leaving backups on disk vs. using file driver
From: "Paddy Sreenivasan" <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Oscar Ricardo Silva" <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:02:30 -0700
On 9/28/06, Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu> wrote:
We're moving away from tape based backups and have purchased a large
disk array that directly attaches to my amanda server.  I'm aware of the
file driver for mimicking tape drives but should I even go that route?
Why not just leave the backups on the holding disk?

Only way to leave backups in holding disk in current release is not to
provide tapes for the backup run.

It is difficult to remove backups from holding disks (it is possible,
but not easy).

Better support for holding disk as backup media will be supported when
the following sourceforge bug is implemented in the next Amanda
release
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1472579&group_id=120&atid=100120
Paddy

Any suggestions/information would be appreciated.

--

Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com
Amanda forums: http://forums.zmanda.com