Amanda-Users

Re: Leaving backups on disk vs. using file driver

2006-09-28 19:44:52
Subject: Re: Leaving backups on disk vs. using file driver
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:04:22 -0500
Ian Turner wrote:
On Thursday 28 September 2006 11:54, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
Amanda only keeps track of what was written to `tape'. You cannot restore
from the holding disk without resorting to a manual restore.

This was true a long time ago, but no more. Today you can restore from the holding disk using amrestore, amfetchdump, and amrecover.

--Ian

At this time I am able to restore from dumps left on holding disk. Just wondering what advantage/disadvantage, there was to not doing it this way. Yes, I have to be more watchful of what's left on the drive and making room available on the holding disk but that's not a big deal.

Granted ... the test restore I did earlier today was SLOOOOOWWWWW but that may be a network issue, not an amanda issue.

Oscar