Amanda-Users

Re: amanda over ssh

2006-09-27 16:09:17
Subject: Re: amanda over ssh
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:36:31 +0200
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 05:41:09PM -0400, Steve Newcomb wrote:
> Fabio Corazza <fabio AT newbay DOT com> writes:
> > Lee, Raymond wrote:

> > I'm interested on this as well. Just a little question before starting
> > the new configuration by myself: is ssh used just for the
> > *authentication* or for the dumps as well?
> I asked that in my first e-mail, and nobody has answered it directly,
> so I'm assuming that it was a dumb question,

I don't think this to be dumb question.  But maybe the question is somewhat
imprecise.  I try to spread it into more precise questions:

With ssh authentication:
- Are dumps transported over a ssh tunnel?
- Are indexes transported over a ssh tunnel?
- Are index transfers authenticated via ssh?
- How are restores authenticated/transported?

Anybody dares to answer those questions?

> and that *of course* the dump goes through the ssh connection.

When it comes to security, _never_ make such assumptions.  There's too
much snake oil out there.