Amanda-Users

Re: Failed with strange errors

2006-09-27 15:21:10
Subject: Re: Failed with strange errors
From: JB Segal <jb AT smarterliving DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:15:24 -0400
Kevin Till wrote:
> Nick Brockner wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am new to amanda, and I have just set up a backup scheme and am
> > trying
> > to test (using 2.5.1). When I have only one of my remote hosts in the
> > disklist, the backup will run fine. When I add the other remote host
> > as
> > well as the localhost (also a web server), I am seeing the errors
> > below. Can anyone help me out?
>
> Hi,
>
> run "amcheck config_name" first, it will report any failure and
> suggestion for
> correction.
>

> -Kevin Till

Sadly, it's not that easy: (I'm a totally different person having the
same problem.

-sh-3.00$ amcheck smarterliving
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
WARNING: holding disk /backup/smarterliving: only 57203900 kB free
(73400320 kB requested)
slot 12: read label `SL00018', date `20060918'
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape SL00018 label ok
Server check took 24.834 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 19 hosts checked in 10.243 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.1)

while my nightly amdump does the same thing Nick's does (and Olivier
Nicole, Steven Backus and a bunch of others:

These dumps were to tapes SL00016, SL00017.
The next 3 tapes Amanda expects to use are: SL00018, SL00019, SL00002.

The next new tape already labelled is: SL000138.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:

  central    /home   lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0 instead of 32768]
  mattapan   /data1  lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0 instead of 32768]
  chinatown  /boot   lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0 instead of 32768]
  central    /home   lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0 instead of 32768]
  central    /home   lev 1  FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request failed:
timeout waiting for ACK]"]
  mattapan   /data1  lev 1  FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request failed:
timeout waiting for ACK]"]
  mattapan   /data1  lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0 instead of 32768]
  haymarket  /       lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0 instead of 32768]
  chinatown  /       lev 1  FAILED [cannot read header: got 0 instead of 32768]
  haymarket  /       lev 1  FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request failed:
timeout waiting for ACK]"]
  chinatown  /boot   lev 1  was successfully retried

  chinatown  /       lev 1  was successfully retried

 . . .
{and on an on}

(I'm particularly fascinated by the last 2)

This all worked (mostly... I had a different problem which prompted the
update to 2.5.1) with 2.5.0p2

Any suggestions are welcome.
JB
--