Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.4, not using work area

2006-09-08 14:52:53
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.4, not using work area
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:46:34 -0500
Brian Cuttler wrote:
> Hello amanda users,
>
> I'm running an old version of amanda 2.4 on a Solaris 9 system
> with a Solaris 8 client.
>
> Its come to my attention that the two larger client partitions
> are not being moved through the work area but are being written
> directly to tape.
>
> The work area is a 70 Gig partition, the client DLEs are on 35 Gig
> partitions. I'd expect to use the work area even if they did so
> sequentially, the partitions however are only about 70% occupied,
> aprox 24 Gig each, so ideally I'd have liked to have seen some
> parallelism.
>
> From the daily reports I see that the smaller client partitions
> on both the Solaris 8 and 9 machine (the amanda server does have
> itself as a client) do utilize the work area.
>
> I do not know what is preventing the work area from being used.
> I would add more work area if I thought it would help, but I don't
> see anything screaming "work area capacity" issue.

If the direct-to-tape DLEs are level 0s, look at the 'reserve' option.
It tells amanda what percentage of your holdingdisk to save for use by
incrementals, so in case of tape problems you can run longer because
you don't fill it up with fulls. I don't remember what it defaults to
if not specified, but I think it is most of the space.

> Here is a question, I assume chunksize appeared around the same
> time (if not actually with) the ability to split a single DLE
> across multiple work areas. I see it back in the docs into '98
> or more but I'm not sure when it first appeared. Is there a list
> of what version which features where added, other than the changelog
> installation file ?

Chunksize was a workaround for writing dumps to disk larger than the
system's max file size (which was 2GB on many machines at the time).
I think support for multiple holding disks was added later.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673