Amanda-Users

Amanda deadlock ?

2006-09-08 14:38:15
Subject: Amanda deadlock ?
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:32:18 -0400
Hello Amanda users,

I am running amanda VERSION="Amanda-2.4.4p1-20030716" on an SGI/IRIX
system v6.5.28 and saw something odd today.

The output from amstatus showed that for several partitions the
amount of data being dumped far exceeded the estimated size of
the data (300% dumped and still going). I do not believe this is
an amanda issue but the result of heavy user activity on the partiton
(several TAR dumped partitons on a RAID array that exceeds the capacity
of the tape drive).

It seems that running several of these dumps concurrently exhausted
the capaicity of the work area, which again is not an amanda issue,
I'm sure if the data size where anywhere near the estimates results
we would not have had this happen.

However it seems that when we ran out of work area the dumps all
deadlocked against one another, all incomplete, none eligable to
be written to tape.

It was an odd problem, not really an amanda issue but something I
thought should be meantioned since it might be desirable to eventually
(it not already) providing some form of deadlock monitoring.

At least I think this is why amanda wasn't progressing.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org