Amanda-Users

Amanda 2.4, not using work area

2006-09-08 14:35:08
Subject: Amanda 2.4, not using work area
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:25:21 -0400
Hello amanda users,

I'm running an old version of amanda 2.4 on a Solaris 9 system
with a Solaris 8 client.

Its come to my attention that the two larger client partitions
are not being moved through the work area but are being written
directly to tape.

The work area is a 70 Gig partition, the client DLEs are on 35 Gig
partitions. I'd expect to use the work area even if they did so
sequentially, the partitions however are only about 70% occupied,
aprox 24 Gig each, so ideally I'd have liked to have seen some
parallelism.

>From the daily reports I see that the smaller client partitions
on both the Solaris 8 and 9 machine (the amanda server does have
itself as a client) do utilize the work area.

I do not know what is preventing the work area from being used.
I would add more work area if I thought it would help, but I don't
see anything screaming "work area capacity" issue.

Here is a question, I assume chunksize appeared around the same
time (if not actually with) the ability to split a single DLE
across multiple work areas. I see it back in the docs into '98
or more but I'm not sure when it first appeared. Is there a list
of what version which features where added, other than the changelog
installation file ?

Anyway it doesn't look like a work area capacity issue. What, other
than adding chunksize to my amanda.conf and perhaps adding additional
work area can I do to investigate this issue.

There does not seem to be any output in the /tmp/amanda/* files
showing which DLEs will be work area and which will not, where else
can I look for an explaintation/solution to this issue ?

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org