Amanda-Users

Re: does amflush updates index?

2006-08-23 10:01:32
Subject: Re: does amflush updates index?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:56:12 -0400
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:49:32PM +0200, Natalia García Nebot wrote:
> Hi all! I have a doubt.
> I'm making test with amanda. I have executed amdump with the tape out of
> the tape device to force amanda to dump on holding disk.
> Then i have executed amflush to write on the tape de backup. And finally
> i have executed amrecover but, and that's my problem, in the indexdir
> specified in amanda.conf i have more than one index file and amrecover
> make the index with the non  latest index file and some new directories
> and files don't backup in my system.
> The amflush man page  says that "/Amflush/ writes /Amanda/ backups from
> the holding disks to tape, and updates the /Amanda/ info database and
> tapelist accordingly" but does amflush updates index?

The indexes are created when the dump is made.  This allows you to
do amrecover while the dumps may still be on the holding disk.

When you do an amflush, the dumps are relocated, not changed.
Thus the indexes need no adjustments.  The logs and info db
are updated to reflect the new location of the dumps.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)