Amanda-Users

Re: Backup plan and big filesystems

2006-08-22 06:46:56
Subject: Re: Backup plan and big filesystems
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Fabio Corazza <fabio AT newbay DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:34:30 +0200

Fabio Corazza <fabio AT newbay DOT com> a écrit sur 22/08/2006 12:26:36 :

> Cyrille Bollu wrote:
> >> But I still have one question: if the collection of the tapes is on
> >> Sunday (or any other planned day of the week), how can I make sure that
> >> Amanda will do backups within that day?
> >
> > What do you mean? I don't understand?
> >
> > Amanda is launched via a cron job so you decide when you want to backup.
>
> I though that it was deciding by itself when to backup data since I've
> heard about "dynamic scheduling"... using cron jobs doesn't mean it's
> dynamic... am I missing something?

Amanda decides *what* data are being backuped at each run (ie: this DLE is full-backup, this other one is incremental level 1,...). But the runs themself are scheduled via cron.

But that's standard Amanda configuration. In your case, you don't need to care since you will be doing full backups only (on sunday).

> > Yes, adding a tape to a set is as simple as "amlabel <config>
> > <new_tape_label>". Amanda will know that a new active tape has been
> > added and it will use it when needed (I think directly at the next run).
>
> Ok, and can I also modify the runtapes (in case my full dump of
> everything would require more than one tape) as well as tapcycle and it
> will be used in the next run?

Yes, probably, one has to adjust tapecycle when adding a tape with amlabel.

Also, I don't think modifying runtapes would break Amanda...

Cyrille