Amanda-Users

Re: Backup plan and big filesystems

2006-08-22 06:04:27
Subject: Re: Backup plan and big filesystems
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Fabio Corazza <fabio AT newbay DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:56:50 +0200

> But I still have one question: if the collection of the tapes is on
> Sunday (or any other planned day of the week), how can I make sure that
> Amanda will do backups within that day?

What do you mean? I don't understand?

Amanda is launched via a cron job so you decide when you want to backup.

> Also, seems like for the moment we don't need any off-site and the
> amount of data in the filesystem will not grow above 400GB within 3 or 4
> months.
>
> The question is: can I configure for the moment Amanda, to have just one
> set that always stays in the robot, with 7x400GB cartridges for the
> daily + 1 for the full backup + 1? Can I expand in a later moment the
> configuration with more tapes and an additional configuration for the
> off-site backup? This is because our vendor sells cartridges in pack of
> 5 and for the moment would be enough just 10 cartridges, then later we
> can expand the storage space with more cartridges if needed, but this
> will not happen within the next 3-4 months like I said.

Yes, adding a tape to a set is as simple as "amlabel <config> <new_tape_label>". Amanda will know that a new active tape has been added and it will use it when needed (I think directly at the next run).

Cyrille