Amanda-Users

Is GNU tar 1.13.25 still good with 2.5.0p2?

2006-08-18 12:41:02
Subject: Is GNU tar 1.13.25 still good with 2.5.0p2?
From: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, kuriyama AT freebsd DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:35:03 +0300
Hello!

I'm planning to upgrade my Amanda server (currently 2.4.5) to 2.5.0p2. I'm wondering whether GNU tar 1.13.25 is still "officially" considered a good version, or is it absolutely required to upgrade to 1.15.1?

I noticed that when installing Amanda from FreeBSD ports, the installation pulls in gtar from ports (archivers/gtar), which is currently version 1.15.1. However, my FreeBSD 5.4 seems to include GNU tar 1.13.25 installed with base FreeBSD system as /usr/bin/gtar and I was thinking, maybe there is no need to have two gtars on my system?

BTW, I currently use dump for backups, so gtar is only used for indexes.