Amanda-Users

Re: Is GNU tar 1.13.25 still good with 2.5.0p2?

2006-08-18 23:35:29
Subject: Re: Is GNU tar 1.13.25 still good with 2.5.0p2?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:29:22 -0400
On Friday 18 August 2006 12:01, Ian Turner wrote:
>Toomas,
>
>GNU tar 1.13 should be good;

No Ian, plain 1.13 is broken, 1.13-19, 1.13-25, and 1.15-1 are the known
good versions.

>The real troublemaker is tar 1.14, which
> will silently corrupt your archives and throw away data. Unfortunately,
> some distributions patch their tar with other code, so some versions of
> tar 1.13 are problematic, whereas some versions of tar 1.14 are
> perfectly fine.

Never found a 1.14, any suffix (AFAIK there was only one), that would run
ok here.  Maybe I didn't try them all, but I don't enjoy bleeding enough
to go back and recheck. 1.14, FWIW, only had maybe a 45 day lifetime on
the gnu.org ftp site that I know of before it was pulled in favor of
1.15-1.

>That said, however:
>
>On Friday 18 August 2006 11:35, Toomas Aas wrote:
>> BTW, I currently use dump for backups, so gtar is only used for
>
>No, Amanda will even use dump to generate indices. So actually you don't
> need tar at all.
>
>Cheers,
>
>--Ian

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)