Amanda-Users

Re: RE Backup plan and big filesystems

2006-08-18 12:34:28
Subject: Re: RE Backup plan and big filesystems
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Fabio Corazza <fabio AT newbay DOT com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:38:26 +0200
On 2006-08-18 16:06, Fabio Corazza wrote:
Cyrille Bollu wrote:
No. Amanda does not allow appending dumps on a same cartidge. That's by
design.

Neither can I put all the full dumps into the same cartridge? Since full
dumping a server would require around 10/20GB, the cartridge would be
almost empty!

Read this page why Amanda does it that way:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Why_does_Amanda_not_append_to_a_tape%3F

In the same page is also a "plan B" described if you have indeed
invested all your money in an expensive tape drive and you have no
budget left to buy cartridges...

One more improvement to that "plan B":
When using  Amanda 2.5.1 or later, you can override some parameters
from amanda.conf on the commandline.  Using this method you can
run with a non-existing tape device in "amanda.conf" instead of
not inserting a tape, and once a week run with the real tapedevice
specified on the cmd line:
   "amdump -o tapedev=/dev/nst0"

(Note 2.5.1 is currently in beta test.)

I think personally that is a waste of space using a single 400GB
cartridge for every full dump. I'd rather use the same cartridge for
every all the server...

...and losing all of your backups by one simple poweroutage or operator error. Wasn't this a "production" environment? What is the cost of losing all the backups of the production environment? Or having only a backup from one month ago?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *