Amanda-Users

Re: RE Backup plan and big filesystems

2006-08-18 11:30:41
Subject: Re: RE Backup plan and big filesystems
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Fabio Corazza <fabio AT newbay DOT com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:24:42 +0200

owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org a écrit sur 18/08/2006 16:06:45 :

> Cyrille Bollu wrote:
> > No. Amanda does not allow appending dumps on a same cartidge. That's by
> > design.
>
> Neither can I put all the full dumps into the same cartridge? Since full
> dumping a server would require around 10/20GB, the cartridge would be
> almost empty!

> > I think it's possible to run an Amanda configuration that only does
> > incremental daily backups and another one that run only full weekly
> > backups.
> >
> > Then you would only export the weekly full backups.
> >
> > You will probably use in that case 2(weeks)*X(tapes_per_full) +
> > 7(days)*X(tapes_per_incremental). So let say 9 tapes instead of 15.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think personally that is a waste of space using a single 400GB
> cartridge for every full dump. I'd rather use the same cartridge for
> every all the server...

Sorry for my bad english: Amanda cannot append on the same tape dumps from 2 different days but Amanda do append dumps from the same day.

> > On Amanda side, it would probably not be that tricky. Probably the most
> > trickiest part of the job will be to handle these 2 sets of tapes
> > (weekly and daily) in your 8-tapes robot.
>
> It has 16 tapes if this can help.

It's probably enough.

Say you have 2 sets of tapes: incremental1-8 and full1-4 (12 tapes).

You put the 8 "incremental" tapes in the robot together with 2 (or wathever is necessary to hold all your data) "full" tapes.

You thus use 10 drives in the robot.

1) Every day Amanda will search in the "incremental" set for a so-called "active tape" (a tape that doesn't hold data younger than X (eg 7) days) and write incremental dumps to it.
2) Every week amanda Amanda will search in the "full" set for an active tape to write its full dumps.
3) Every week you change the 2 full tapes (rotation with 4 tapes)