Amanda-Users

Re: Next Tapes are Offsite

2006-08-08 12:28:17
Subject: Re: Next Tapes are Offsite
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:11:44 -0400
On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 05:19:38PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > One thing still up in the air (to me anyway) is final tape selection
> > from within the tapelist and physical tape changer.  Your description
> > gets to which tapes are "eligible" to be selected, but not which tape
> > (or runtape number of tapes) among that set is ultimately chosen.
>
> Very simple: the tape in the currently loaded slot.
> And if that one is not eligible, Amanda skips to the next slot, until she
> finds
> an eligible tape.

Just to be clear, suppose I have a large tape library with functioning
barcode reader and associated changer database.  Maybe 150 slots with
80 slots devoted to an amanda config, The 80 slots are filled with
reusable tapes but I've set my tapecycle to less than 80 for protection
against damaged or removed tapes.

I may at some point access the library, perhaps for non-amanda slots or
to do some recovery.  There is no attempt to follow the order from the
tapelist and change directly to the next ordered tape.  It is the
responsibility of the administrator to ensure that the changer gets
back to a correct slot position before amanda runs.  Because otherwise
it will use whichever of the 21 eligible tapes it hits first.  Bleech!

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)