Amanda-Users

Re: Next Tapes are Offsite

2006-08-08 12:03:21
Subject: Re: Next Tapes are Offsite
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:48:18 -0400
On Tuesday 08 August 2006 11:01, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> One thing still up in the air (to me anyway) is final tape selection
> from within the tapelist and physical tape changer.  Your description
> gets to which tapes are "eligible" to be selected, but not which tape
> (or runtape number of tapes) among that set is ultimately chosen.

Correct. That is because in the presence of multiple eligible tapes (many in
P, or none in P and many in I), the exact selected tape is undefined. In
practice, it is the first such tape encountered by Amanda, but that in turn
depends on the position of the changer before the scan algorithm begins.

> [snip]

What you describe is more-or-less accurate in terms of final effects, but
that's not how the algorithm is actually implemented. Instead, taper will
repeatedly load a tape. If it's active (no-reuse or one of the tapecycle most
recent tapes), it will move on without further checks. If it's the
least-recently-used tape or a new tape (that is, if it's in P), then it will
immediately stop scanning and use that tape. Otherwise, it will note this
tape for later and move on to the next tape. If at the end of the scan, no P
tape has been found, then amtape will go back to the first I tape it found
earlier.

The rule is slightly different if the changer is a gravity stacker; in that
case, the first tape in I (without regard to P-membership) will be accepted.

Cheers,

--Ian
--
Forums for Amanda discussion: http://forums.zmanda.com/