Amanda-Users

Re: Next Tapes are Offsite

2006-08-07 14:14:05
Subject: Re: Next Tapes are Offsite
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:06:40 -0400
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:29:32PM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
> HUGHES Marilyn F wrote:
> > We have a situation where the next  Amanda tapes that it is asking for
> > are currently offsite.  It costs $75 for them to be retrieved so we
> > don't want to do that.
> >

> > Besides we have available tapes here onsite.  Is there a way (a command
> > or other way?) to force Amanda to select one of the tapes that we have
> > onsite?  Does Amanda select from the top of the tapelist on down?
>
> If you have more tapes in your tapelist than your tapecycle,
> Amanda will use the oldest available one.  You also always
> have the option of labeling a new tape,and it will use that.

If the tapes are off-site "permanently", you may wish to mark
them in the tapelist as "no-reuse".  Amanda will retain the index
and log info pertaining to those tapes for use in future recoveries
if needed.  (amadmin <config> no-reuse tape1 tape2 ...)

Replace them with the same, or extra, labeled tapes.

Should you decide to do this, be aware that amanda will insist on
using the new tapes as soon as the number of previously used,
reuse'able, tapes in the tapelist drops below the tapecycle number.
If you care about the sequence of tape usage, you should time your
change to just when the off-site tapes are scheduled to be used.

To confirm which tape will be used next, you can do an amcheck -s
or amtape taper.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)