Amanda-Users

Re: Next Tapes are Offsite

2006-08-09 10:15:00
Subject: Re: Next Tapes are Offsite
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:09:18 +0200
On 2006-08-09 14:59, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:
Not from what I see. I always reverse sort my tape list so that the
oldest
and lowest number is at the bottom.

zorn->[537] > cat tapelist
0 D00010 reuse
0 D00009 reuse
0 D00008 reuse
0 D00007 reuse
0 D00006 reuse
0 D00005 reuse
0 D00004 reuse
0 D00003 reuse
0 D00002 reuse
0 D00001 reuse

zorn->[538] > amadmin daily tape
The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.
                                   a new tape.
The next 2 new tapes already labelled are: D00001, D00002.

All the tapes are never used.  Any tape is fine.

There is a difference between the output of "amadmin tape" and
actually checking what is inserted in the tape drive/changer.

I found out that if two already used tapes have the same date
(yours do also, date 0) that it selects the tape based on the
tapelist file order.

It doesn't seem that amadmin <config> tape accesses the drive.
For my testing I used amtape <config> taper which actually
accesses the tape drive and changer looking of the tape it wants.

I wonder if it would handle new tapes differently.  I you get the
chance, could you try to put a tape, say tape D000005 in the drive
slot and then run "amtape daily taper".  Does it say, I'll take any
new tape, or does it go searching for the new tape in the last
tapelist entry?

Just another piece of info that could be interesting.
[McGraw, Robert P.]
To answer your question I put D00006 in the drive with mtx

zorn->[49] > mtx1 status
  Storage Changer /dev/scsi/changer/c6t0d0:1 Drives, 38 Slots ( 0
Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 6 Loaded):VolumeTag = D00006L2

Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=D00001L2 Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=D00002L2 Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=D00003L2 Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=D00004L2 Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=D00005L2 Storage Element 6:Empty Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=D00007L2 Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=D00008L2 zorn->[57] > cat tapelist
20060808 D00002 reuse
20060808 D00001 reuse
0 D00010 reuse
0 D00009 reuse
0 D00008 reuse
0 D00007 reuse
0 D00006 reuse
0 D00005 reuse
0 D00004 reuse
0 D00003 reuse

zorn->[58] > amadmin daily tape
The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.
The next new tape already labelled is: D00003. Now I resort tape list
zorn->[69] > cat tapelist
0 D00003 reuse
0 D00004 reuse
0 D00005 reuse
0 D00006 reuse
0 D00007 reuse
0 D00008 reuse
0 D00009 reuse
0 D00010 reuse
20060808 D00001 reuse
20060808 D00002 reuse

zorn->[70] > !57
amadmin daily tape
The next Amanda run should go onto a new tape.
The next new tape already labelled is: D00010.

So it seems to pick up the last entry in tape that is available even thought
I have a tape in the drive that can be used.

Actually no.  When you ask Amanda what tape is next, it does not scan
the changer, and gives you what the last entry in tapelist.

But when actually doing a "amcheck", then Amanda will use an
available tape in the first slot encountered (starting from the current).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *