Amanda-Users

Re: Dramatic reduction in backup time

2006-08-03 14:26:27
Subject: Re: Dramatic reduction in backup time
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:12:34 -0600

--On August 3, 2006 9:05:03 AM -0700 "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com> wrote:

Yes, it's the exact same tape drive I've been using extensively for
testing, and all that time it had been sitting in the same position on
the floor.  I moved it on Monday, and then amanda took off like a
lightning bolt.

Wow, that's something I'll be classing as very weird, but very good.  I
was impressed by the 9 hours it took to do backups, but now I'm
speechless...

I've introduced a new tape for tonight's backup run.  Will see what it
tells me tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your help!

Yeah it sounds VERY much like a marginal SCSI cable....what OS do you have? Sometimes termination issues will show up in dmesg, also dmesg will usually show the speed at which the device negotiates....it is shown elsewhere too depending on your OS.