Amanda-Users

Re: Burning backup to dvd

2006-07-26 17:24:52
Subject: Re: Burning backup to dvd
From: Laurence Darby <ldarby AT tuffmail DOT com>
To: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:15:35 +0100
Anne Wilson wrote:

> I use amanda to create backups that are split to fit on a dvd, but so
> far I have not been able to create the dvd using k3b.  It may be a
> permissions problem, or it may be a k3b problem.  I have tried to
> make the backup by running k3b as amanda, and also by running k3b as
> root.

When I burned my (semi-complete)  backups to dvd, I used growisofs from
dvd+rw-tools, with the 'slot.x' vtape directory in an ext2 filesystem
in a file dvd.ext2, and burned it as root with

# growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=8 -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.ext2

I wrote a script to erase and refill the dvd.ext2 file after each
burn,  I'm not sure if it counts as a "tape changer" script. I could
post it if it might be useful.

If you can tolerate ISO9660, then using the slot directory directly
should work:

# growisofs -speed=8 -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /backups/full/slot1

The problems you've got look like general KDE problems, not sure how to
help with them sorry.

Laurence