Amanda-Users

Re: using star instead of tar

2006-07-20 08:12:56
Subject: Re: using star instead of tar
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:02:30 -0400
On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 10:35:06AM +0200, Thomas Ginestet wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> In order to backup a Zope database, I would like to use star with
> pre-post processes to stop & restart the server. I've read the doc about
> how to use wrapper but i'm still in difficulty.
>
> What i've done for the moment:
>
> - customized debian/rules (the equivalent of the configure) to change
> --with-gnutar=/bin/tar \ for --with-gnutar=/bin/mywrapperscript \

<admin rant>
/bin (and /usr/bin) is not for all programs, it is for programs
that everyone might be expected to use.  Should everyone, from
the command line run "mywrapperscript ...".  Probably not.  In
fact, no-one except a program, amanda, should be running it.
And the program can easily call "/what/ever/myscript".  Plus,
if you upgrade, possibly by overwriting things, /, including /bin
might get trashed.  So put mywrapperscript into something like
/usr/local/lib, or /usr/local/libexec, or /opt/amanda/bin, or ???
</admin rant>

> - rebuilt the package and installed it on the client to be backed up
> (should I install it on the server too ?).

No, the server will just tell the client to backup using "gnutar".

> - customized wrapper example script and put it on client /bin directory.

For first testing, I would put a copy of the real gnutar into the
final location of mywrapperscript.  After you know all things work
with gnutar called from that location, then you can substitute your
code; perhaps first with a wrapper that calls /bin/tar.

> - create a custom dumptype to specify program "STAR" instead of "GNUTAR"
> (may be should I specify "MYWRAPPERSCRIPT" ?)

Not needed, the server doesn't know the wrapper is in use and the
client thinks "gnutar" is mywrapperscript.

> - modified my disklist to specify the custom dumptype to use

ditto

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)