Amanda-Users

using star instead of tar

2006-07-20 04:47:06
Subject: using star instead of tar
From: Thomas Ginestet <thomas.ginestet AT gpsa DOT fr>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:35:06 +0200
Hi list,

In order to backup a Zope database, I would like to use star with pre-post processes to stop & restart the server. I've read the doc about how to use wrapper but i'm still in difficulty.

What i've done for the moment:

- customized debian/rules (the equivalent of the configure) to change --with-gnutar=/bin/tar \ for --with-gnutar=/bin/mywrapperscript \

- rebuilt the package and installed it on the client to be backed up (should I install it on the server too ?).

- customized wrapper example script and put it on client /bin directory.

- create a custom dumptype to specify program "STAR" instead of "GNUTAR" (may be should I specify "MYWRAPPERSCRIPT" ?)

- modified my disklist to specify the custom dumptype to use

But with an amcheck, Amanda complains about the dumper program (only gnutar or dump can be used...):
ERROR: www-dev:/var/lib/zope2.7 does not support DUMPER-API.
ERROR: www-dev: [BOGUS REQUEST PACKET]
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.518 seconds, 1 problem found

Does anyone ever tried to use star with amanda ?
I suppose they are other things to change or what i've done is not the way it should be but the doc about wrapper is not very verbose and existing posts talking about star with amanda are not very relevant....

Any help or experience would be appreciate ;)

Thomas