Amanda-Users

Amanda "To many dumper retry" on cygwin client

2006-07-07 10:17:23
Subject: Amanda "To many dumper retry" on cygwin client
From: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:09:00 -0400
As indicated in a previous email yesterday I got amcheck working with my
cygwin client. Last night the dump ran and I got the sad news from the amanda
server logs:

        FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
        coriolis  /local  lev 0  FAILED 20060706 [too many dumper retry]

I went to my cygwin client and the sendbackup...debug file look like

        sendbackup: debug 1 pid 2820 ruid 18 euid 18: start at Thu Jul  6
20:12:36
2006
        /local/Amanda/amanda-2.4.5p1/libexec/sendbackup: version 2.4.5p1
        parsed request as: program `GNUTAR'
                     disk `/local'
                     device `/local'
                     level 0
                     since 1970:1:1:0:0:0
                     options `|;bsd-auth;index;'
        sendbackup: try_socksize: send buffer size is 65536
        sendbackup: time 0.015: stream_server: waiting for connection:
0.0.0.0.1016
        sendbackup: time 0.031: stream_server: waiting for connection:
0.0.0.0.1017
        sendbackup: time 0.031: stream_server: waiting for connection:
0.0.0.0.1018
        sendbackup: time 0.031: waiting for connect on 1016, then 1017, then
1018

>From a previous forum email it said that 0.0.0.0 meant any interface. The
amanda server was not able to make a connection to get the backup.

I ran amdump manually from the server and on the cygwin client a zonealarm
windowed poped up asking if I wanted to accept 0.0.0.0. I answered yes one
time only. The backup worked.

So the problem was that my cygwin interface is running zonealarm (free) and it
seems to be blocking 0.0.0.0 interface.

What I do not understand is that my zonealarm is set to trust anything from
our subnet, which both the client and the server are on. Is "sendbackup"
actually waiting to receive a connection from IP 0.0.0.0? I guess I do not
quite understand the 0.0.0.0 IP address and how it works.

To resolve the problem I can set zonealarm to allow 0.0.0.0 but I wonder if
this opens up any security problems. I do not know enough about windows and so
I become very paranoid when fiddling with the window network stuff.

Any comments or suggestions?

I am sending this to the amanda-users group in case other have similar
problems with their cygwin setup.

Overall setting up cygwin and compiling amanda was rather easy. The biggest
problem that was stopping my amcheck to work was not having /tmp/amanda
directory owned by the user that runs amandad.exe from the inetd.conf file. It
there is no /tmp/amanda file, it is automatically created by amandad.exe, but
with the owner of the user who installed cygwin. Just could not see the forest
for the trees. Once I got this resolved the other few problems were obvious.

Thanks to all in the amand-users group for your help.

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                 EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Purdue University                         ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street                   FAX: (419) 821-0540
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067