Amanda-Users

restoring gentoo linux

2006-07-05 05:35:06
Subject: restoring gentoo linux
From: "Anthony Worrall" <anthony.worrall AT reading.ac DOT uk>
To: "amanda users list" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:27:09 +0100
Hi

This is not a directly amanda related problem but hopefully someone will
be able to help.

I have recently had to do a bear metal restore of a gentoo linux box.
Unfortunately the original machine was not available so I am restoring
on another box of the same model.

I booted it from a live CD (NST 1.4) repartitioned the disk as indicated
by the fstab file and restore the data. However when I try to boot the
machine
I get the grub error 24 "Attempt to access block outside partition"

Any Ideas

Cheers

Anthony Worrall

Grub.conf

default 0
fallback 1
timeout 2

title Linux (latest kernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel root=/dev/hda2
boot

title Linux (previous kernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-prev root=/dev/hda2
boot

/etc/fstab

# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.14
2003/10/13 20:03:38 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally
aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of
storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

<dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
opts.
/dev/hda1               /boot           ext3
noauto,noatime,ro       1 2
/dev/hda2               /               ext3            noatime
1 1
/dev/hda3               none            swap            sw
0 0
/dev/hdc                /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro
0 0

none                    /proc           proc            defaults
0 0
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults
0 0