Amanda-Users

Re: Backups fail on new client: too many dumper retry

2006-06-21 13:56:03
Subject: Re: Backups fail on new client: too many dumper retry
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:50:58 -0400
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:31:01AM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:55:15PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >
> > Forgot to mention, I looked through some old reports, from last month
> > when I was setting up a FC4 installation.  Early on there were some
> > "too many dumper retry" messages.  When it happened all DLE for that
> > host had same report.
>
> Same here.
>
> > It was a connectivity problem, firewall (check both client and
> > server),
>
> The client amandad is called from xinetd, and that is working, or
> amcheck would fail. Wouldn't it?

What is in the client's amandad debug files?  Anything of interest?

> Do I need 10080, 10082 and 10083 open on the server's firewall? I have
> them open on the client. I just opened them up on the server, and got
> the same results. There are no firewalls between the two machines.

I thought that too until I checked FC's defaults include iptables running.
That in combo with selinux blocked return info to the server.

> > inetd not started,
>
> running, as a "ps aux" on the client confirms.
>
> > bad entry in .amandahosts,
> [root@themoose DailySet1]# cat /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts
> charlesc amanda
> charlesc.localdomain amanda

;) localdomain is not literal is it?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)