Amanda-Users

Re: No Level 0 backup possible

2006-06-19 09:50:54
Subject: Re: No Level 0 backup possible
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:44:47 +0100
On Monday 19 June 2006 14:12, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> On 2006-06-17 17:57, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Scenario -
> >
> > Backup server:  borg
> > Two drives - source from hda backed up by amanda to hdb.
> > Requirement:  /home, less directories /home/anne/Photos
> > and /home/anne/recordings.
> >
> > The two excluded directories run as separate jobs, and cycle correctly.
> > The main /home directory is approx. 24GB long, but after the excludes
> > only about 6 GB.  /tmp/dumps is an 11GB directory designated as holding
> > disk.  I want to save the backups onto vtapes that are suitable size for
> > copying to DVD. ***********
> >
> > /home/amanda.exclude:
> > ./anne/recordings
> > ./anne/Photos
> > **************
>
> So the file "/home/amanda.exclude" is on the client.
> But I cannot find where you specify it to use as "exclude list" in the
> dumptype.  Or did you specify that in the disklist entry itself,
> (which you did not post).
>
> > From amanda.conf:
>
> [...]
>
> > define tapetype HARD-DISK {
> >     comment "WD 120GB drive hdb6"
> >     lbl-templ "/usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/3hole.ps"
> >     length 4100 mbytes # will burn to DVD
> > }
> >
> > define dumptype global {
> >     comment "Global definitions"
> >     index yes
> >     # record no
> >     tape_splitsize  400 Mb
> > #   split_diskbuffer        "/tmp/dumps"
> >     fallback_splitsize      100m
> >     maxpromoteday   1
> > }
> > **********
>
> There is only dumptype "global"????
> What dumptype have you specified in the disklist?

Originally there was only 'global' - and it did work at first.  Today I added

define dumptype user-tar-span {
  root-tar
  tape_splitsize 400Mb
  comment "tape-spanning user partitions dumped with tar"

as on the wiki page, but it is not happy with the line 'root-tar'.  I thought
that was a predefined.  Am I wrong?

> > It looks to me as though it is not attempting to span the vtapes.  Can
> > someone please point me at the likely cause?  I did have spanning working
> > at one time, so I must have inadvertently changed something vital.
>
> What is the output of "amadmin Daily disklist /home"?

It borks at line 271 - 'root-tar'

> Is there a line:   exclude list "/home/amanda.exclude"  ?
> Are there parameters like "tapesplit_size" that you added in your global
> section?

When I tried it using GNUTAR the output was

amadmin Daily disklist borg /home
line 8:
    host borg:
        interface default
    disk /home:
        program "GNUTAR"
        exclude list "amanda.exclude"
        priority 1
        dumpcycle 7
        maxdumps 4
        maxpromoteday 10000
        bumpsize 10240
        bumpdays 1
        bumpmult 2.000000
        strategy STANDARD
        estimate CLIENT
        compress CLIENT BEST
        comprate 0.50 0.50
        encrypt NONE
        auth BSD
        kencrypt NO
        holdingdisk YES
        record YES
        index YES
        fallback_splitsize 10Mb
        skip-incr NO
        skip-full NO

Exclude list, tape_splitsize and fallback_splitsize all showed at that point.

Anne