Amanda-Users

Re: samba backups and -N option

2006-06-15 16:42:13
Subject: Re: samba backups and -N option
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Paddy Sreenivasan <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:33:14 +0200
Paddy Sreenivasan schreef:
On 6/14/06, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:
I only recently noticed the -N option to smbtar
(-TN for smbclient).  This allows backups based
on a file's timestamp being newer than a control
file.

Using the archive bit, as is now done, has several
problems. For example, other apps might change the
archive bit and using it as the control only allows
a single level of incremental.

Has the use of the -N option for samba-based backups
been considered?  And maybe found wanting?

We have considered using -N option in testing. One drawback is that we need
to touch  a file (one file for each backup level) in the share when we
do backup.
This would mean the samba user should have write permission on all the shares
being backed up.

Any feedback on this option is welcome. Should we include it in Amanda source?
I have cc'ed amanda-users to get more feedback.

I'm not a MS-win expert, but Amanda currently uses the archive-bit of
each pc-file to be able to do at least a lvl 1 incr backup.
When Amanda schedules a full backup it needs to reset this archive bit. Don't you need write access to the share for this. Even more, to
be able to reset the bit for files not owned by the Amanda user, that
user needs "full control".  Or is there a much safer way to avoid
write access and still be able to reset the archive bit of any file?

About the -N option: I believe it is possible to reset the date
of a file on PC to anything you like.  In unix filesystems, there is
the ctime that you can base on, but when I unzip a file on a PC, the
dates of the extracted files is sometimes years old. Or is this dependent on FAT vs different versions of NTFS too?