Amanda-Users

Re: samba backups and -N option

2006-06-15 15:04:45
Subject: Re: samba backups and -N option
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:57:59 -0400
On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:37:52AM -0700, Paddy Sreenivasan wrote:
> On 6/14/06, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:
> >I only recently noticed the -N option to smbtar
> >(-TN for smbclient).  This allows backups based
> >on a file's timestamp being newer than a control
> >file.
> >
> >Using the archive bit, as is now done, has several
> >problems. For example, other apps might change the
> >archive bit and using it as the control only allows
> >a single level of incremental.
> >
> >Has the use of the -N option for samba-based backups
> >been considered?  And maybe found wanting?
>
> We have considered using -N option in testing.  One drawback is that we need
> to touch  a file (one file for each backup level) in the share when we
> do backup.

In my testing it seemed the file could be on the direct client,
not the indirect PC.  But I must admit I was only doing it from
the command line.  For that I was creating (touch -t ...) the
control file on the linux box then smbtar'ing from a windows host.

> This would mean the samba user should have write permission on all the
> shares being backed up.

A likely place for it would be in the debug directory of the direct client.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)