Amanda-Users

Re: Version 2.5.0: Have incronly/skip-fill issues been addressed

2006-06-13 11:08:40
Subject: Re: Version 2.5.0: Have incronly/skip-fill issues been addressed
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:02:39 +0200
On 2006-06-13 16:28, Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:46:20AM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
I'm still finding out a use for "skip-full".  It seems to be a weird
option:  when the planner had decided to make a full dump, then in
the real run it is skipped. That would mean that you have to be carefully reading the report to know when to run a manual full
dump of that DLE.  And until you do, you have no backup at all.
Strange option...

Yeah, I've only used skip-incr (DLE's containing CD .iso images :)

But I recall way back someone reporting they tried to use it in
a two configuation setup.  The configs used many of the same
files (logs, index, ...) with the primary difference they used
different tape devices, one with much larger capacity than the
other.  The smaller capacity drive config used skip-full and/or
incr-only.  I forget which they settled upon.  The other config
used the opposite.

Using the very hot 2.5.1 (in beta) you do this with one config
and overriding the tapedevice and tapetype on the commandline
from within the crontab entry:

amdump -o tapedev=/dev/smalltape -o tapetype=SMALLTAPE  \
        -o DUMPTYPE:general:incronly

(assuming the amanda.conf has all set up for the big tapes.)

Much cleaner.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *