Amanda-Users

Re: Version 2.5.0: Have incronly/skip-fill issues been addressed

2006-06-13 05:55:13
Subject: Re: Version 2.5.0: Have incronly/skip-fill issues been addressed
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:46:20 +0200
On 2006-06-13 11:21, Toralf Lund wrote:
Another question related to amanda 2.5:

Does anyone know if the issues with "skip-full" and/or "strategy incronly" been addressed? In the past, neither "strategy incronly" nor "skip-full" have worked quite as expected. I'm afraid I can't remember the full details, but one problem I've had, was that "amadmin force" would not really reset the dump level to 0. Another issue is of course that there are two slightly different ways of requesting an "incremental only" dump, i.e. "skip-full" and "strategy incronly". I concluded at one point that I actually had to use both in my setup. Anyhow, I'm assuming that some of you lot will know what I'm talking about, and can tell me if the situation has changed lately.

The "strategy" options are those that planner takes into account.
It has influence of which estimates are asked for.
Normally Amanda can ask estimates for level 0, level N, and level N+1.

When you specify "strategy noinc", then Amanda will only ask for
a level 0 estimate.

The "strategy incronly", will normally not schedule an estimate for
level 0, except when forced (with "amadmin xx force").

Amanda usually also makes a "plan B": when the taping fails, it falls
back to degraded mode, and will do some incrementals instead of full
dumps to safe space on the holdingdisk.  Restricting the estimates
has influence on this phase too: when "strategy noinc" was specified,
these DLE's cannot be dumped in incremental mode and will fail completely.

I'm still finding out a use for "skip-full".  It seems to be a weird
option:  when the planner had decided to make a full dump, then in
the real run it is skipped. That would mean that you have to be carefully reading the report to know when to run a manual full
dump of that DLE.  And until you do, you have no backup at all.
Strange option...

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *