Amanda-Users

Re: tapetype definitions

2006-06-02 10:56:57
Subject: Re: tapetype definitions
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:50:08 -0400
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 07:08:39AM -0700, Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've just run amtapetype -f /dev/nst0 for Amanda to generate a tapetype
> definition for an HP Storageworks SDLT 320 tape drive.
>
> The results came back as:
>
> define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
> comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
> length 135040 mbytes
> filemark 39 kbytes
> speed 2272 kps
> }
>
> amtapetype did slightly complain about hardware compression being enabled,
> but I couldn't see a way of disabling that.
>
> Would you, in your experience, think that this tapetype definition seems
> accurate and "acceptable" to use for real backups? This is the last
> outstanding piece of the Amanda puzzle before putting Amanda into operation.

Not when amtapetype complained about compression being on.
It is low by 5 - 15%.

It appears you are using a linux version (device is nstX).
If a recent release, see if your distro supplies the "stinit"
command or package.  When that is setup you will have multiple
devices names for the same tape drive, some can be set for
no compression, others with compression.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)