Amanda-Users

tapetype definitions

2006-06-02 10:18:39
Subject: tapetype definitions
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 07:08:39 -0700 (PDT)
Dear all,

I've just run amtapetype -f /dev/nst0 for Amanda to generate a tapetype
definition for an HP Storageworks SDLT 320 tape drive.

The results came back as:

define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
length 135040 mbytes
filemark 39 kbytes
speed 2272 kps
}

amtapetype did slightly complain about hardware compression being enabled,
but I couldn't see a way of disabling that.

Would you, in your experience, think that this tapetype definition seems
accurate and "acceptable" to use for real backups? This is the last
outstanding piece of the Amanda puzzle before putting Amanda into operation.

The tape drive's capacity is 160Gb uncompressed and 320Gb compressed,
according to its specifications. So I'm not too sure about the length 135040
mbytes mentioned in the generated tapetype. Won't this cause Amanda to not
use the drive's full capacity?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Joe