Amanda-Users

Re: missing result ... in ... response ???

2006-05-29 07:45:08
Subject: Re: missing result ... in ... response ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 06:38:30 -0500
* On 2006:05:25:08:25:07-0500 I, Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>,
scribed:
> Something has changed in amanda.
>
> I have been running amanda on this lan for several years.  For the most
> part, DLE's have been constant for at least six months.  I have six
> linux servers, all running debian.  Regarding amanda-server, my records
> show that I upgraded amanda to version:
>
>     2.4.5 on 16JUN05
>
> Everything was backing up, and restoring, to my satisfaction, until last
> week.  At that time, two servers (brono & jord) were terribly old,
> regarding kernel and debian os.  So, I upgraded via aptitude, which also
> upgraded amanda-client to version:
>
>     2.5.0
>
> Since that time, many -- but, NOT all -- DLE's on brono and jord are
> FAIL'ing, e.g.:
>
>     brono  /var  lev 0  FAILED [missing result for /var in brono response]
>     jord   /var  lev 0  FAILED [missing result for /var in jord response]
>
> Yes, both of these servers have many DLE's; but, as stated above, this
> HAS been working without incident at the older version.  Numbers of
> DLE's:
>
>     brono  137
>     jord   219
<snip />

Bdale Garbee published to debian repository version 2.5.0p2.

I have tried this on brono and jord, and this does NOT resolve the
problem.

I now have this on ALL of my boxen, except brono and jord, which I have
downgraded to 2.4.4p3-3.

Last night was my first completely successful backup in more than one
week!

I have received several private emails explaining the situation.  I do
understand those issues.  However, amanda DOES succeed in my situation
in versions _prior_ to v2.5.x -- and it FAILS in ALL v2.5.x ;<

This I do NOT understand.

What am I missing?

How will I know when a new version corrects this problem?

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource