Amanda-Users

Re: Estimates taking a long time..

2006-05-26 15:14:15
Subject: Re: Estimates taking a long time..
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:09:23 -0400
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 01:56:02PM -0400, Matt Ingram wrote:
> here's the send sizesize log. To me it appears that it is just taking
> that long to create the tar..... ???
>
> thanks for your response :).

tar has great performance issues with directories containing many small
files.  I think the alternative, faster ways of estimating are accurate
for level 0 dumps (others may correct my conception if wrong) and use
historical data for the incrementals.  Your incrementals seem pretty small
(10-20% of the level 0) so that I suspect any error in those estimates
would be acceptable.  Where you run into problems is a DLE that changes
a lot pretty often, but not always.

It is amazing the difference the alternatives can make in estimate time.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)