Amanda-Users

problem with amrestore

2006-05-25 18:31:05
Subject: problem with amrestore
From: William Yardley <amanda-users AT veggiechinese DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:23:13 -0700
I'm having problems restoring data from a particular machine / partition
using amanda and "restore".

$ amrestore -p /dev/nst0 somemachine /home  | /sbin/restore -ivf -
Verify tape and initialize maps
Input is from a local file/pipe
amrestore: missing file header block
amrestore:   2: skipping xxx._xxxx.20060524.1
amrestore:  10: reached end of information

running "mt tell" at this point:
At block 22

if I run the same thing a second time, I get:
[...]
Input is from a local file/pipe
amrestore: WARNING: not at start of tape, file numbers will be offset
amrestore:  10: reached end of information
/sbin/restore: Tape read error on first record

If I just do
$ amrestore -p /dev/nst0 | /sbin/restore -ivf -
the machine shown being skipped above is the first one that comes up. If
I then quit and restart, I can go through all the other hosts backed up
here one at a time; however this isn't very time-effective or convenient.

This is with RHEL4u3 (has always worked fine with RHEL3, and almost the
same versions - dump v 0.4b37 and same Amanda version).

dump-0.4b39-3.EL4.2

Amanda version is amanda-2.5.0p2, packaged locally.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?