Amanda-Users

Re: problem with amrestore

2006-05-25 18:58:29
Subject: Re: problem with amrestore
From: William Yardley <amanda-users AT veggiechinese DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:53:40 -0700
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 03:23:13PM -0700, William Yardley wrote:
[ Sorry for the self-followup ]
> I'm having problems restoring data from a particular machine / partition
> using amanda and "restore".
>
> $ amrestore -p /dev/nst0 somemachine /home  | /sbin/restore -ivf -
> Verify tape and initialize maps
> Input is from a local file/pipe
> amrestore: missing file header block
> amrestore:   2: skipping xxx._xxxx.20060524.1
> amrestore:  10: reached end of information
[...]
> This is with RHEL4u3 (has always worked fine with RHEL3, and almost the
> same versions - dump v 0.4b37 and same Amanda version).

Actually, I stand corrected... this only worked with Amanda 2.4, so I
guess it didn't break when we switched machines.

I found a workaround that works for my particular situation - use
amadmin to get the tape and file #, then do:

$ amrestore -p /dev/nst0 -f 20 | /sbin/restore -ivf -

Still would be interested if anyone has any insight as to why the other
way doesn't work... maybe the syntax just needs to be slightly
different? From a quick look at TFM, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it the
"right" way.