Amanda-Users

Re: amanda on Mac OS X

2006-05-16 10:56:16
Subject: Re: amanda on Mac OS X
From: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:50:15 -0400 (EDT)
Good to know, Michael, I am still using the xtar trick, didn't even check,
, and amanda works on Intel chipped Mac just fine.

Chen

Hello Karel,
Hello list,

FYI: I'm happily running amanda-2.5.0 on Mac OS X 10.4.6. No compile
problems whatsoever and as a special treat, Apple has updated their UNIX
utilities in 10.4 to properly work with HFS+ and resource forks. So no
hfstar/xtar is needed any more. I've tested this quite a bit and found
it to work nicely, although I haven't tested a full system recovery.

An update to
https://webserver.brandeis.edu/pages/view/Bio/AmandaMacOSXCompileNotes
or http://www.amanda.org/docs/systemnotes.html#id2526824 to reflect this
change might be nice.

Since Apple has retired init and xinetd and replaced them by launchd,
I've written a proper LaunchDaemon-File for it. It's attached to this
mail. I also have small scripts enableamanda and disableamanda to switch
it on and off at runtime using launchctl using a command like:

echo "load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.amanda.amandad.plist" |
launchctl

and

echo "unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.amanda.amandad.plist" |
launchctl

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone:  (410)455-6347 (primary)
        (410)455-2718 (secondary)