Amanda-Users

Re: quick help needed on changer problem

2006-05-16 10:55:53
Subject: Re: quick help needed on changer problem
From: listrcv <listrcv AT condor-werke DOT com>
To: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:50:23 +0200
Alexander Jolk wrote:
listrcv wrote:

backup@prometheus:~$ /usr/sbin/amtape condor slot 7
amtape: could not load slot /usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx:: line 605: [: 6:VolumeTag=: integer expression expected

Could you do a `mtx status' and send us the output?

Ah, mtx was the program whose name I couldn't remember!

prometheus:/home/hwilmer# mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg1:1 Drives, 10 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 7 Loaded):VolumeTag =
      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 7:Empty:VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=
prometheus:/home/hwilmer#

Slot 7 can actually be empty because the tape is in the drive. I made the changer load the tape from slot 7 into the drive via the control panel on the device. Then I started amflush, and to my surprise, it unloaded a tape and loaded one, and it's now writing to the tape.

There's a barcode reader or so in the device, but I don't use it. I think the VolumeTag would say what the bar code is if it were used.

I'm still waiting for the vendors support to call back to get the device fixed. They already managed to piss me off. Avoid buying exabyte or other stuff from Fujitsu/Siemens. The laptops they make are slow, the tape changer fails after 2 years, and their support sucks.

GH