Amanda-Users

Re: quick help needed on changer problem

2006-05-16 10:55:16
Subject: Re: quick help needed on changer problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:46:45 -0400
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:09:29PM +0200, listrcv wrote:

> The counting of SCSI devices seems to increase each time I unload and
> reload the modules, so it's now scsi4 and was scsi3 before. Is that normal?

I'm not familiar enough with Linux to know the correct commands.
But in some other OSs devices can be looked for as "look for new",
or "start over again and look for everything".  If your system
isn't doing a startoveragain, then some small change to your
tape could cause it to appear as a new device and get a different
name.

It has been a while, but ISTR that Fedora has a way of assigning
a "UUID" (Unique U??? ID) to devices, at least to USB devices and
I think SCSI as well.  Once assigned a table could be constructed
of the UUID's and device names that you choose.  Then whenever
the UUID was detected, regardless of the /dev device automatically
assigned, the names you chose were also created.  When I used it,
it was for several USB external disks that moved around.  But
whenever any of them were connected, I wanted it mounted in the
same place.

If your moving scsi problem persists, you might look into the UUID.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)