Amanda-Users

Re: Tape spanning and `amadmin info`

2006-05-15 12:44:47
Subject: Re: Tape spanning and `amadmin info`
From: jeffrey d anderson <jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:40:14 -0700
On Monday 15 May 2006 08:06, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 12:54:33PM -0700, jeffrey d anderson wrote:
> > I've begun using the new tape spanning feature of amanda 2.4.5 and it
> > seems to work quite well.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > Periodically I pull a set of tapes from my changer to be set aside for
> > archival purposes.   In the past I have relied on `amadmin info` to tell
> > me what tapes would need to be pulled to have a full dumpcycle.  Now it
> > seems, with tape spanning, this information is not quite accurate.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what the solution is, since this is a new condition
> > for amanda (a single DLE dump not residing on a single tape).
>
> You might check out the amandatape utility I posted to this list on Feb,
> 14. It reports correctly the information you need.  But make sure you also
> apply the patch I posted on Feb, 17.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Just to clarify my original post, I know how to get the information I need
from the amanda logs.  I just wondered if any of the developers had given any
thought to modifying the amadmin output to accomodate tape spanning, since it
is currently inaccurate.

Jeffrey Anderson                        | jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   |
Office: 50A-5104E                       | Mailstop 50A-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208                     | Fax: 510 486-6808