Amanda-Users

Need advice on backup scheme....

2006-05-12 20:53:51
Subject: Need advice on backup scheme....
From: "Chan, Victor" <vchan AT csifinancial DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 17:45:44 -0600

To all,

Okay, I have been using Amanda for a year plus, and it’s been working great.  It grabs files from all over my internal network, backing up anywhere from 20 to 100 GB per day on my DellPowerVault 122T drive autoloader.

However, I’ve been whacking my brain on how to properly backup our web server and FTP server, as there’s been recent additions to our web servers that now make daily backups more prudent.  They both have external, public IP addresses.  The obvious case is to use port forwarding.  Has anyone here in the user group use this method to backup your external hosts?  If so, what ports needs to be forwarded, and what security measures to you take?  Or is it too much trouble and I’m better off getting a dedicated tape drive for those external machines?

Victor Chan

Network Administrator

CSI Financial Services

3636 Nobel Drive, Suite 215