Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up sub directories and interactive restores

2006-05-12 13:01:56
Subject: Re: Backing up sub directories and interactive restores
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:56:10 +0200
On 2006-05-12 17:41, Jon LaBadie wrote:
for doing my wife's machine.

Are there any good, free/cheap, windows backup programs suitable
for incorporating into an amanda scheme?

Talking about wifes:  I do the backup of my wife's machine with
BackupPC, using the rsyncd-method (one of the possible mechanisms
in the program).
- On the PC, you need to install a small directory c:\rsyncd
  containing the cygwin rsyncd program, and start it as service.
- On a Linux server you need to install the BackupPC program (written
  in perl).
BackupPC works by making a rsync (network and cpu-load efficient) copy
of the files.  Identical files are hardlinked on the server: that way
you can keep many fulls/incremental online, using not too much
diskspace.  The savings get even bigger when you backup multiple PC's.

One of the advantages is that, because she travels a lot with her
laptop, the laptop is not always online, but backupPC makes a backup
when she is back.  Automatically.  Through a webpage you can also
schedule an incremental backup when it is convenient: e.g. just before
leaving on a trip, etc.

I'm just starting to learn the thing -- not too much experience yet.

Problems encountered:

- somehow the rsyncd program kept running taking lots of CPU (just
producing heat, not making things slow -- very strange).  This
was after the viruschecker found a virus, and was hanging with a
message 'delete - quarantaine... etc' but there was nobody to
answer the question that night. Just noticed in the morning.  But
afterwards it keps using CPU, even when the backup was finished.
Reboot helped.

- I got my webpage screwed up (tightening the permission too much)
and can't get it to work again, without setting it too wide open -- need
more studying.

All in all a good program, considering my limited experience with it.

Not suitable for bare-metal restores!
But possibilities to hook things like registry-dumps etc are available
(no experience).

The backup-tree on the Unix/Linux server can of course be written
to tape too, using Amanda.

  http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

When I get more experience, and see how this complements Amanda in
some environments, I may write something on the wiki.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *