Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up sub directories and interactive restores

2006-05-11 12:28:42
Subject: Re: Backing up sub directories and interactive restores
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:21:13 -0400
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 02:32:41PM +0100, John Clement wrote:
> >From what I understand amrecover runs from the client machine, and I'd
> rather run the restores on the server, then move what I have to back to
> the client manually.
>
> Moving on from this a little though, I've used an existing dumptype
> (from before I started here) and if I try to restore anything I get the
> following message:
>
> ===
> % /usr/sbin/amrestore -p /dev/nst0 autonomy.deanst.rroom.net
> /mnt_f/Websites | tar -xvf -
>
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 32768+32768, wrote 0
> amrestore: pipe reader has quit in middle of file.
> ===
>
> The DLE:
> autonomy.deanst.rroom.net       /mnt_f/Websites
> comp-root-tar-win
>
> And the dump type:
> define dumptype comp-root-tar-win {
>     root-tar
>     comment "Root partitions with compression"
>     compress client fast
> }
>
> Thanks,
>
> jc

I presume the comment at the top was in response to this question.
Top posting makes following a discussing so difficult.

Use of amrecover is not limited to the client.  It could be run
from the server or from a third-party client.  Where there 'might'
be a limitation is the availability of the correct tools.  For
example a backup made with ufsdump from a Solaris host could not
be recovered to a linux client because it lacks ufsrestore.  But
to another Solaris client it should be fine.  Or if both used
guntar it should be fine.

Just clutching at straws, the error message says something about
an error at 32k+32k.  Might these dumps have been created with
a tape block size different than the standard 32k?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)