Amanda-Users

Re: DLEs with large numbers of files

2006-05-02 19:03:05
Subject: Re: DLEs with large numbers of files
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:00:31 -0600

--On May 2, 2006 5:49:47 PM -0400 Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
wrote:

Hello everyone,

I recognize that this isn't really related to Amanda, but I thought
I'd see if anyone has a good trick...

A number of DLEs in my Amanda configuration have a huge number of
small files (sometimes hardlinks and symlinks, sometimes just copies)
- often times in the millions.  Of course this is a class corner case and
these DLEs can take a very long time to backup/restore.

I use estimated sizes and tar on these types of DLEs. Dump may be faster if you can get away with it, but realistically they're both getting limited by what amounts to stat() calls on the filesystem to ascertain the modification times of the various files. You can try for a filesystem that has better small files performance or upgrade your storage hardware to support more IOPS.

Currently, they are mostly using dump (which will usually report
1-3MiB/s throughput).  Is there a possible performance advantage to using
tar instead?

On some of our installations I have bumped up the data timeouts.  I've
got one as high as 5400 seconds.  I suspect a reasonable maximum is
very installation dependant, but if anyone has thoughts, I'd love to
hear them.

Thanks for any ideas!

--
Ross Vandegrift